Former FBI director gave assurances that ex-secretary of state would escape charges
Former FBI Director James Comey, who accused Hillary Clinton of being “extremely careless” regarding the use of email servers, last year said there would be “zero chance” the former secretary of state will ever be charged.
Comey repeated his claim twice in February 2019 during a Sarasota, Fla. town hall, as per The Washington Examiner.
“There is zero chance, zero chance, on the facts in the Hillary Clinton case, that she would be prosecuted,” Comey said at the time.
“You are out of your mind if you don’t think the FBI wanted to make a case if we could,” he added.
“The facts weren’t there. Period. Full stop,” Comey stated.
But Clinton must answer more questions about her emails, according to a federal court.
Clinton’s choice of a private email server was never approved by Comey.
The former FBI director even admitted in 2016 that someone of less political stature than Clinton might have been charged.
WATCH: Comey says “I can’t imagine that I’m a target” of the Durham probe
READ MORE: https://t.co/M9E77PDCLT
— Neon Nettle (@NeonNettle) August 24, 2020
“To be clear, this is not to suggest that in similar circumstances, a person who engaged in this activity would face no consequences,” he said at the time.
Comey also stated in 2018, that “There’s no serious person who thinks there’s a prosecutable case there.”
But While Comey defended Clinton, he attacked President Donald Trump, saying he was “one of the worst listeners as a leader.”
Comey claimed Trump demanded a pledge of loyalty from him, then said:
“An effective leader never asks for loyalty,” according to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
Comey also claimed he avoids the spotlight.
“I thought the easiest thing for me to do would be to be quiet. I don’t love my life as a semi-employed celebrity, but I would be a coward if I didn’t speak,” he told the crowd.
“I’m really worried about the impact this president has on our values that we all have in common.”