‘Look, I think it’s very dangerous’
Democratic attorney Marc Elias trashed President Donald Trump’s legal challenges, calling them “the next iteration of birtherism.”
Elias discussed Trump’s legal efforts to challenge the 2020 presidential election results and how he believed the media’s coverage of those efforts might need to change.
The segment on CNN’s “Reliable Sources” with Brian Stelter began with discussing what lawsuits had been filed thus far.
Elias noted that the Electoral College was still set to meet as planned.
“But what happens when tens of millions of people believe it was stolen? How do you see this playing out in the months to come?” Stelter asked.
“Look, I think it’s very dangerous,” Elias replied.
The lawyer then said he thought Trump acted irresponsibly, and he wasn’t shocked to see that hadn’t changed.
“What is really, really distressing is to see the other senior Republican officials going along with this,” Elias continued.
He added his real concern was the 100 Republicans in Congress — who had signed on to a Texas lawsuit to overturn the election.
His remarks were echoed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who blasted Republicans who signaled support for the lawsuit.
“Instead of upholding their oath to support and defend the Constitution, they chose to subvert the Constitution and undermine public trust in our sacred democratic institutions,” Pelosi said.
Stelter asked Elias if he believed that media coverage would have to change in order to adapt to the new environment.
“It does, because, as you said, the problem is that the Republicans doing that have let certain news outlets create an equal side, two sides to this, when in fact there is only one factual side,” Elias explained.
“I think the press needs to — the media needs to start reporting this for what it is, which is the new birtherism. Birtherism was a lie, and it was a lie through and through.”
“And that’s what we are seeing now. We are seeing the next iteration of birtherism.”
Elias’s remarks come after President Donald Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani vowed to keep fighting after the Supreme Court rejected the suit.
Giuliani warned that, despite the setback, Trump’s legal team is “not finished” battling for election integrity.
Speaking during an interview on Newsmax TV’s “Stinchfield” Friday, Giuliani assured the public that the president’s legal team would continue filing lawsuits.