Victims infected in multiple restaurants as poop contaminates food
A growing number of McDonald’s customers are reported to have fallen ill after traces of human feces have been found in their food.
Salads from the fast food giant have found to be contaminated with fecal matter from restaurants in ten different states.
In the past week, 163 people have infected by a stomach parasite from eating the food so far, with the number growing by the day.
According to The Food and Drug Administration, it’s not just a mild stomach bug, either.
The FDA has said that the problem is caused by the Cyclospora parasite.
Health officials warn that symptoms may take up to six weeks to subside for those infected by the contaminated food.
BGR reports: While healthy individuals should recover from a Cyclospora infection without treatment, patients with weakened immune systems can be at a higher risk, and three people have been reported hospitalized so far.
The illnesses are a result of a tainted batch of lettuce from a McDonald’s supplier in Streamwood, Illinois, according to the company.
“We have removed lettuce blend provided by Fresh Express’ Streamwood, Illinois, facility,” McDonald’s told USA Today.
“Many restaurants already have a new lettuce blend supply, while we expect all identified restaurants will have new supply in the next few days.”
The bad news is that replacing the infected lettuce won’t stop new cases from developing overnight.
The infection takes at least a week or two to take hold, according to the CDC, and it may be up to six weeks before patients experience symptoms.
The most common symptom is watery diarrhea, although patients might also experience a loss of appetite, weight loss, cramping, nausea, and fatigue.
“McDonald’s is committed to the highest standards of food safety and quality and we continue to cooperate and support regulatory and public health officials in their investigations,” the company said in a statement.