Mexico’s Foreign Relations Secretariat posted a statement on Monday
Following President Donald Trump‘s demands for Mexico to deal with the border crisis, top Mexican diplomats issued a subversive threat stating that 250,000 more Central American migrants could enter the US.
The statement comes after Trump threatened to hike traffic to 5 percent if Mexico failed to secure their borders.
Mexico’s Foreign Relations Secretariat posted a statement on Monday arguing that the country was already giving humanitarian visas to migrants, and effectively strengthening immigration enforcement.
The statement read:
“Without these important Mexican efforts in immigration matters, the U.S. would receive 250,000 additional migrants, only in 2019.”
But the veiled threat was buried deep within the document where Mexican officials claimed to have deported over 80,000 migrants and arrested 400 suspected smugglers in conjunction with U.S. officials.
Earlier in May, Neon Nettle reported CBP agents apprehended the “largest group” of illegal immigrants so far after catching the record-breaking number of migrants near the US Southern Border.
Mexico’s President Responds to Trump, Says Migrants Have a Right to Move to the U.S.
READ MORE: https://t.co/J6t44EOIlp
— Neon Nettle (@NeonNettle) June 1, 2019
White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney said it doesn’t comply; the tariffs will increase each month they refuse to help:
- 10 percent on July 1
- 15 percent on Aug. 1
- 20 percent on Sept. 1
- 25 percent on Oct. 1
Mexican president Lopez Obrador said yesterday that he had ramped up immigration enforcement and they are now turning back migrant caravans.
“The main thing is to inform about what we’re already doing on the migration issue, and if it’s necessary to reinforce these measures without violating human rights, we could be prepared to reach that deal,” Lopez Obrador said Sunday.
“We’re doing all we can to reach a deal through dialogue,” he added.
“We’re not going to get into a trade war, a war of tariffs and of taxes.”