According to a medical examiner’s report, the 38-year old was instantly killed
A Television producer was killed when his vape pen exploded in his face, causing the shrapnel to crack his skull open.
American Tallmadge D’Elia suffered 80 percent burns to his body in a fire caused by the explosion at his Florida home.
According to a medical examiner’s report, the 38-year old was instantly killed when the explosion sent two pieces of the metal vape pen into his cranium.
The death tragic death has been ruled as an accident.
The post-mortem examination revealed that the vape pen was a “mod” type produced by a company called Smok-E Mountain.
The express reports: A representative for the company claimed their devices did not explode but said there were safety concerns over other companies cloning their batteries.
The US Food and Drug Administration said it was not clear what causes some vape pens to explode, but it could stem from battery-related issues.
Vape pens, like many smartphones, use lithium-ion batteries. In 2016, Samsung withdrew its Galaxy Note 7 phone after some caught fire when the batteries short-circuited.
But the US Fire Administration records show between 2009-16 there were 133 acute injuries, 38 severe, in nearly 200 separate incidents of explosions and fires involving vapes.
In one example in 2015, a 29-yearold Colorado man broke his neck and shattered teeth when an e-cigarette exploded in his face.
Exploding e-cigarettes have also been reported in the UK. In 2014, a vape blew up in Wigan, sending shards of metal into a man’s limbs.